Ready to organize for power? From South Africa to Algeria and Kenya to Cote d’Ivoire, young people across the continent and their families want a just and sustainable future. To achieve it, we must use non-violent organizing principles and methods passed down from successful anti-colonial and other movements, combined with new digital tactics being used across the continent. We must understand how movements can be built and nurtured.
This training series and support program is for activists and campaigners who want to deepen their ability to build effective movements and campaigns for justice.
The program is completely free to groups of 10+ activists who register together.
1. Training Series for Activists & Campaigners
6-session series online once per week, 90-120 min/session. Starts February 6
The program is in English and French only at this time. (Funders are invited to provide funding for language access beyond these two languages)
A “Certificate in Movement-Building” can be earned with completion of assignments related to your activism.
Topics covered, with examples from across the continent:
- Movement stages and what to expect in each
- Movement ecology: keys to building unity
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your leadership role
- Tools and practice for strategy development
- Building a strong activist pipeline – tools and tactics to build and activate a broad base
- Tactics that work when civic space is limited and risk is high
- Combining online and offline tactics strategically
- Activating the diaspora
- Making your movement visible to the media and international community
- Personal safety and digital security: the essentials
2. Support for groups of activists
Groups of activists who complete the training will be eligible for up to a year of coaching to help with implementation.
Most sessions will be held in English with simultaneous interpretation in French. Other languages available depending on demand and funds.
Sessions held Tuesdays February 6 – March 12, 2024 (12PM Kinshasa | 2PM Nairobi | 11AM Accra | 1PM Jo’burg)
Cost & Registration
Free if registering a group of 10+ activists. Register here once you have a spreadsheet of the 10+ activists who will be participating. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all countries are covered.
This program is funded by donations, with a fundraising campaign underway. If you are able to support, please donate here.
In order to support a movement organization learning space, this training is for activists and staff of non-profits. Trainings are not for consultants or agencies.
Please feel welcome to reach out with questions to Joscar Amondi, SMT Africa Movement Support Coordinator at [email protected].
Instructors will include SMT staff and additional experienced activists from across the continent.