For activists and campaigners waging justice against big adversaries, and journalists
Photo credit: Tobi James Candid/CC
A 5-session series:
October – November 2021 (Starting October 12)
Weekly sessions on Tuesdays, 4pm Nairobi, Palestine / 2pm UK / 9am NY /10am São Paulo
The series will be held in English, with simultaneous interpretation in Arabic, French, Spanish and Portuguese (based on demand) and live captioning in English. All sessions will be recorded, with captioning in these languages as well for those who may not be able to access live sessions.
Participants will be eligible to earn a “Certificate in Twitter Power for Campaigners” based on completing all assignments (all will be reviewed by an instructor) and attending at least 3 of the sessions live. Assignments for non-English speakers can be submitted in their own language. Slides and supporting materials can be translated in all 4 languages.
- Learn how activists, particularly across Africa, MENA and Europe, are using Twitter strategically to build pressure in campaigns targeting big corporate and government decision-makers and to build visibility in the media
- Learn how journalists can develop their Twitter account to protect themselves and ensure they have allies if they need them
- Build your account quickly and strategically, by up to 250 followers per week using free and low-cost tools and techniques (participants will implement during the series and share results)
- Use Twitter lists and DM groups to activate followers
- Orchestrate a Twitterstorm including the hijacking of a hashtag
- Develop a guide using free tools to make it easy for allies to participate
- Develop your Twitter Strategic Plan based on the needs of your campaign
- Share options for when a government running scared tries to shut you down, and how to be prepared for it. (Participants will also have the option to form a global Twitter solidarity community.)
Movement examples from the Global South will be incorporated as much as possible, and participants with experience will be invited to share.
Enrollment will include access to this online course, parts of which will be assigned as homework. This session is recommended as background. These recordings are or will be available with captioning in 5 languages.
Time required: 3.5- 4.5 hours/week
- 90 minutes/week live session
- 1 hour/week prep for live session (watch assigned video)
- 1-2 hours/week complete assignment
Global South – based organizations (Africa, MENA, Latin America, Asia) – FREE
- The entire training is free
- If participant wants to work towards a certificate, the charge is $50 per person at the start (assignments will get feedback for those pursuing a certificate). (This fee goes up to $60 after October 1.)
Global North – based organizations (North America, Europe, parts of Oceania)
- Early bird cost (Global North) US$400 – $600 (higher end of scale if you can, to subsidize Global South registrations)
- After October 1: Regular cost (Global North) US$500 – $600
- Early bird Group rates up to 10 people (Global North) US$3000 ($300 per person*)
- After October 1: Regular Group rates up to 10 people (Global North) US$3500 ($350 per person*)
*Group rates: per person rates indicated are if all seats are filled. The group rate involves one lump sum payment. Questions about group rate? Contact us.
Please fill out this registration form to sign up for free or to continue to the payment process. This is also the form to use if you need to pay for a group or for someone else to participate.
With appreciation to those networks helping to get the word out
(Contact us if your network is helping with outreach and would like to be recognized.)
- African Human Rights Network
- Africans Rising
- Girls First Network, Africa
- Global Platform Zambia
- Laudato Si’ Movement
- The Youth Café