webinar series for organizing groups, unions, activists
These days a LOT of organizing groups don’t have the right CRM* for their organizing needs. Yet the tool that we rely on to hold our supporter data, send mass email, fundraise online, and set up petitions and email actions to targets, is vital to the effectiveness of our organizing. Being matched to the right CRM reduces time spent on admin, is cost-effective and helps us build a broader audience and run more powerful online/offline actions. The right CRM is essential for knowing who our audience is, and tracking trends in how they support us – in other words, enabling our strategy for building grassroots power to be data-driven.
This series is for you if any of these is true:
- You’re using Constant Contact or MailChimp and want to become more effective and powerful in your organizing.
- You’re paying several hundred dollars a month for a CRM that feels clunky and you’re still putting in a ton of admin time to meet your top needs.
- You’re using two or more tools that aren’t integrated and wonder if there’s a better way.
- Your system is so difficult to learn and manage that it’s a regular staffing strain.
- You wonder if there’s a less expensive tool that meets your needs.
- You’re looking to fundraise more effectively than your current system allows.
- You have special use cases such as integrating a canvass operation, or affiliate/parent org needs, or use of NGP-VAN voter data files that further complicate your needs, and you’d like to be able to ask questions about addressing those needs.
- You want to know what else is out there and what it can do to support your organizing more powerfully.
The series starts with an overview of CRM selection considerations. The other five sessions each focus on one of five top CRMs for organizing groups. They will be structured as a series of questions posed to a representative for each tool. SMT accepts no support of any kind from any vendor in order to ensure strict objectivity. We reserve the right to be blunt about strengths and weaknesses as we see them.
*CRM=Constituent Relationship Management system
All sessions will be recorded. Recordings and slides will be sent out within two to three days of the webinar.
March 28 – Overview of CRM selection considerations, including discussion of Salsa, Salesforce, and several other tools that don’t have individual demos.
April 4 – EveryAction
April 11 – ActionNetwork
April 18 – NationBuilder
April 25 – ActionKit
May 3 – CiviCRM
Yotam Amit, SMT Staff Partner and CRM specialist. Started organizing a decade ago in Chicago as one of the founding members of a local Palestinian rights group. Expertise in coding, security, and in-depth knowledge of a range of CRMs to better contribute to the movement primarily through Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP). Has in-depth experience with Classic Salsa, EveryAction, Salesforce and ActionNetwork. Also experienced with ActionKit and NationBuilder. Has used APIs to create custom flows and data patterns. Has created automations to serve different content to segments of email lists based on calculations of giving and action history, set up real-time tailoring of what audiences see as they enter their donation. Has served up custom fields for actions, integrating with external tools both with and without an existing integration, and designed and set up custom forms. Lots of experience with data migration including strategizing what data is worth keeping and how to translate it into the new CRM and working with smaller groups helping them make the transition including handling recurring donations and tags. Passion is to help harness the powers of various tools and techniques to convert traffic spikes and untapped potential into sustained growth, without sacrificing grassroots organizing or relationships and community. When he is not at his computer, he is probably teaching martial arts in some park in the Bay – or at one of the other small schools he’s founded in New York City and Chicago.
There will also be at least one presenter from each of the CRMs and groups using the CRMs may join in as well.
$200 For groups w/ budgets under $500K or if affiliated with an SMT Outreach Partner that is helping to get the word out about this training.
$300 For groups w/ budgets $500K+
- Submit payment below.
- Register. After payment is submitted, you will be automatically directed to a registration page.
- If you want the discount due to your affiliation with an SMT Outreach Partner: After payment, forward the email you received from the Outreach Partner to email@example.com, so we can approve your $180 registration. This rate applies only if Outreach Partner is doing broad outreach.
- Receive confirmation. Your registration will be approved once payment is confirmed. You will receive webinar details via e-mail.
[Also: Upcoming Author Talks for Organizers series]