Using Petitions Strategically for People Power Series, and Activist Protection
Solidarity with protests and strikers in Sudan, London October 2021. (Photo credit: Steve Eason, CC)
For activists and campaigners waging justice against big adversaries
January 3-part Series on Using Petitions Strategically for People Power
Weekly sessions on Tuesdays, 4pm Nairobi, Palestine / 2pm UK / 9am NY /10am São Paulo
January 11th, 18th, 25th
- Petitions aren’t usually effective if we deliver them and then wait for a response. So how can we use them most powerfully?
- The free petition alternative to Change.org that enables us to keep all the data of our petition signers and re-contact them as needed
- Effectively identifying your petition target
- Designing and writing an effective petition for your campaign, including the “hero’s journey” narrative to significantly broaden your supporter base
- Mapping out your escalation plan
- Using multiple social media channels and platforms to expand a petition’s visibility
- Creative petition tactics when some of your base only has access to WhatsApp
- Building your tech stack – your combination of tools that work together – to maximize impact
Language access on all sessions
The series will be held in English, with simultaneous interpretation in Arabic, French, Spanish and Portuguese (based on demand) and live captioning in English. All sessions will be recorded, with captioning in these languages as well for those who may not be able to access live sessions. Slides and supporting materials will be translated in all 4 languages.
Movement examples from different continents will be incorporated throughout, and participants with experience will be invited to share.
Did you miss “Internet Access & Activist Protection – December 9, 2021”? Watch the recording.
The recording of this session is provided at no charge to all. Recording access to the petition series will be priced at $200 per person, $100 for Global South activists, so if you qualify for free access you may want to plan to attend live.
Free for almost everyone across the Global South. (Pay only if your organization has a budget of over US$500,000/year.) Register here directly on Zoom
If based in Europe or North America: US$ 200 per person. Pay using form below, adding the name of the registrant in the Notes field if different from who is paying. Then register here on Zoom.
Please contribute what you can, if you can, in the form below. SMT training is solely supported by registration fees. Register here directly on Zoom
If you are a funder or network helping to get the word out, let us know and we’ll be glad to list you here.