For MENA activists and campaigners: a 4-part series in Arabic, October- November 2022
Egyptian movement for democracy.
Full list of all upcoming SMT trainings here.
This series is specifically designed for and by MENA-based activists and campaigners. It includes MENA examples and considerations and is led by a MENA-based instructor, among others.
Register for the series by paying at the bottom of the page and attend the sessions of interest to you.
Interpretation in English and French. Subtitles on recordings in Arabic and English. (Separate series presented in Spanish and interpreted to Portuguese, and series presented in English)
90-minute sessions will be held at 03:00 PM Dubai | 02:00 PM Jerusalem | 01:00 PM London | 2:00 PM Brussels
1. Activist Pipelines to Fuel People Powered Campaigns | October 12, 2022
Your organization has a list of people who subscribed to your email updates or signed a petition; what do you ask of them next to create a powerful force to win change? Many activists and campaigners are asking:
- How do we activate enough people?
- How do we transform new potential supporters into active leaders of online and offline action?
This training focuses on sharing different skills and tools for building an activist pipeline for your organization.
Learn how to:
- Invite new supporters into meaningful but doable online and offline roles to share in the work of building a powerful campaign and movement
- Combine the right tools and steps to make it easy for people to sign up
- Create online spaces to help build community among your people
- Create a support system for people to stay and thrive
- Build personal outreach to every new supporter into your workflow
- Be ready for trigger events when your issue is in the news, and it’s easier to activate people.
- Automate what you can to do more as a small team
- Measure and evaluate progress in activating people at different levels
2. Action Network: A Tool for Taking Action & Managing Data in People Power Campaigns | October 26, 2022
Are you using MailChimp or Constant Contact for email or Avaaz and Google forms for your petitions? If so, you need this training! Learn about a campaigning tool (Action Network) designed by and for activists and being used in campaigns across the globe. Use the powerful free version to send emails, launch petitions, and hold all your supporter information.
Learn about the limitations of email tools that are not action tools and why it’s so important to own and control your supporter list.
Learn how to:
- Use the free version to design and launch a petition.
- Send emails to petition signers and others on your list.
- Create and send an event invite
- Create a sign-up form or petition and embed it into your website page
- Create a beautiful petition or event page to send people to if you don’t have a website
- Create a campaign to send emails to target
- Create a fundraiser
3. Twitter for Pressuring Targets and Getting Media | November 9, 2022
Twitter is a powerful tool for engaging the media, targeting corporations and government officials, and activating global support.
Lebanese feminists used Twitter along with offline action to build the movement which won the repeal of Article 522, which forces a woman or girl to marry her rapist. Palestinians use Twitter to spotlight Israeli state violence on the global stage and to win agreements from celebrities and corporations. Twitter played a pivotal role in the Arab Spring, peaking at more than two million daily tweets. There are so many ways that activists and campaigners are using this powerful tool.
Learn how to:
- Use Twitter in campaigning
- Use Twitter strategically to intensify pressure on targets, including how to orchestrate powerful twitterstorms and hijack hashtags
- Find and engage new regional and global allies, especially with the help of a powerful free tool
- Cultivate journalists and get media coverage
- Grow your account fast and strategically using 2 powerful free tools
- Track results using another free tool
- Put together a Twitter plan of action using SMT’s Twitter Plan Template
4. WhatsApp for Activating Our Base: especially for campaigners organizing with people from countries where WhatsApp is the most-used app | November 23, 2022
WhatsApp is one of the world’s most widely used mobile apps, with more than 2 billion users in 2021. Campaigners are using WhatsApp creatively to build people power; It’s used for communication between campaigners and as a platform for supporter community building. Learn more about how campaigners are using WhatsApp in creative ways to build and win campaigns for change:
- What WhatsApp is best for
- Using broadcast lists versus groups and upcoming changes to groups.
- Building and managing a team of WhatsApp group volunteers
- Managing multiple groups and making it easy to join them
- Designing content to drive sharing and action-taking
- WhatsApp for fundraising
- Missed call campaigns
- Calls to action that work
- A low-cost tool for organizing groups to do mass personalized messaging to a list of WhatsApp users
- Comparison of tools to manage messaging for larger campaigns
- When a WhatsApp chatbot might be useful, how they work, and what they cost
- Developments in multi-admin access and how to manage one account across a team
- How to manage risk, especially under state-sponsored surveillance, and when to use Telegram or Signal instead
- How to turn off data-sharing with Facebook
- US$40 per person for the 4 series.
- Register for free if referred by an outreach partner. Must forward the mass communication received from outreach partner to [email protected]
- Super low group rate: $500 for up to 50 people. Must send a spreadsheet of registrants with first, last name, organization, title, and email to [email protected] several days before the training to ensure enough time.
- Discount of 10% if registration payment is received by September 30, 2022
Payment is by credit card below, which includes a 4% fee. Contact us at [email protected] if you are paying at least $600 in registration fees, and you’d like an invoice for payment by bank transfer (ACH free; international wire $20 fee). If paying for someone else or multiple people, please explain in the “Note” field.
After payment, you will receive an email with the Zoom registration link. This can be shared with others who have been paid for.