For European activists and campaigners: a 4-part series September – October 2022
Photo by Karolina Grabowska
Full list of all upcoming SMT trainings here.
The first three sessions in this series are specifically designed for and by Europe-based activists and campaigners. They include European examples and considerations and are led by Western and Eastern Europe-based instructors. The fourth session, on WhatsApp, is led by SMT’s team members from Africa and Latin America.
Register for the series by paying at the bottom of the page and attend the sessions of interest to you. Interpretation in French. Subtitles on recordings in English, French, and other languages based on demand. (Separate series presented in Spanish and interpreted to Portuguese, and series presented in Arabic.)
90-minute sessions will be held at 13:00 London | 14:00 Brussels | 15:00 Kyiv
1. Activist Pipelines to Fuel People Powered Campaigns | September 27, 2022
Your organization has a list of people who subscribed to your newsletter or signed a petition, what do you ask of them next to create a powerful force to win change?
- How do we activate enough people?
- How do we transform new potential supporters into active leaders of online and offline action?
Activating people to use their power is what creates winning campaigns. In this training, learn to:
- Invite new supporters into meaningful but doable online and offline roles to share in the work of building a powerful campaign and movement
- Create a series of online and offline actions that engage people deeper in your campaign and escalate pressure on your target
- Combine the right tools and steps to make it easy for people to sign up
- Create online spaces to help build community among your people
- Create a support system for people to stay and thrive
- Build personal outreach to every new supporter into your workflow
- Be ready for trigger events when your issue is in the news and it’s easier to activate people
- Automate what you can, to do more as a small team
- Measure and evaluate progress in activating people at different levels
2. Action Network: A Tool for Taking Action & Managing Data in People Power Campaigns | October 6, 2022
Are you using MailChimp or Constant Contact for email, or Change.org for your petitions? If so, you need this training! Learn about a movement tool (Action Network) designed by and for activists and being used in campaigns across the globe – from Myanmar activists fighting the military to the Palestinian BDS movement, to activists fighting mining in Madagascar. Use the powerful free version to send emails, launch petitions, and hold all your supporter information.
Learn about the limitations of email tools that are not action tools, and why it’s so important to own and control your own supporter list. We’ll also cover GDPR and cloud storage location considerations.
Learn how to:
- Use the free version to design and launch a petition
- Send emails to petition signers and others on your list
- Create and send an event invite
- Create a sign-up form or petition and embed it into your website page
- Create a beautiful petition or event page to send people to if you don’t have a website
- Create a campaign to send emails into a target
- Create a fundraiser
3. Twitter for Pressuring Targets and Getting Media | October 27, 2022
Twitter is a powerful tool for engaging the media, targeting corporations and government officials, and activating global support.
Ukrainians and anti-war activists are using Twitter to shame the Russian oligarchy and build the movement to pressure European governments to take more action. Kenyans used Twitter along with direct action to win a law that protects their children’s playgrounds from greedy developers. Palestinians use Twitter to spotlight Israeli state violence against them on the global stage and to win agreements from celebrities and corporations. Indian human rights activists use it to fight back against police intimidation. Twitter was a key tool in the successful Argentinian movement for reproductive rights. Mexican communities victimized by climate disasters in Mexico used it to get organized…There are so many ways that activists and movements are using this powerful tool.
Learn how to:
- Use Twitter strategically to intensify pressure on targets, including how to orchestrate powerful twitterstorms and hijack hashtags
- Find and engage new regional and global allies, especially with the help of a powerful free tool
- Cultivate journalists and get media coverage
- Grow your account fast and strategically using 2 powerful free tools
- Track results using another free tool
- Put together a Twitter plan of action using SMT’s Twitter Plan Template
4. WhatsApp for Activating Our Base: especially for campaigners organizing with people from countries where WhatsApp is the most-used app | November 17, 2022
As the most used app globally, campaigners are using WhatsApp in creative ways to build people power.
Learn how campaigners are using WhatsApp to build and win campaigns for change:
- What WhatsApp is best for
- Using broadcast lists versus groups, and upcoming changes to groups
- Building and managing a team of WhatsApp group volunteers
- Managing multiple groups, and making it easy to join them
- Designing content to drive sharing and action-taking
- WhatsApp for fundraising
- Missed call campaigns
- Calls to action that work
- A low-cost tool for organizing groups to do mass personalized messaging to a list of WhatsApp users
- Comparison of tools to manage messaging for larger campaigns
- When a WhatsApp chatbot might be useful, how they work and what they cost
- Developments in multi-admin access and how to manage one account across a team
- How to manage risk, especially under state-sponsored surveillance and when to use Telegram or Signal instead
- How to turn off data-sharing with Facebook
- 200€ per person for series, staff of organizations with annual budget of 1 million+ Euros
- 120€ per person for series, staff of organizations with annual budget of less than 1 million Euros
- 60€ if referred by a network you are part of that is an outreach partner (contact us) if you belong to a network you would like to invite to become an outreach partner). Must forward the mass communication received from the outreach partner to [email protected] at time of payment to be approved at this reduced rate
- Super low group rate: 1000€ for up to 25 people. May add more seats at 40€/person for series. Must send a spreadsheet of registrants with first, last name, organization, title and email to [email protected] several days before the training to ensure enough time
- Discount of 10% if registration payment received by September 10, 2022
Payment is by credit card below, which includes a 4% fee. Contact us at [email protected] if you are paying at least $600 in registration fees and you’d like an invoice for payment by bank transfer (ACH free; international wire $20 fee). If paying for someone else or multiple people, please explain in the “Registrant” field.
After payment you will receive an email with the Zoom registration link. This can be shared with others who have been paid for.