A practical, effective and affordable way to ramp up your organization’s security
Do you know you need to increase digital security but are having a tough time getting it done across your team?
Finding it a bit overwhelming to track who has done what, or to give clear assignments that people can implement across their devices? Discovering that “security culture” hasn’t taken hold and wondering what to do? Looking for clear, easy guidance on priorities and next steps and a partner you can come back to with questions? Finding digital security support expensive? If any of these are true, this is for you!
This training and support process is for organizations that are looking for a structured, supported and proven way to implement greater digital security across their team.
Program Process and Content
- We’ll start with four 90-minute sessions in month 1 to enable you to assess threats, identify needs, and set up your tracking and accountability system using our templates. These sessions will be:
- Threat assessment
- Individual policies and practices
- Organizational policies and practises
- Tracking and managing change & website security
- Your core team will then have a planning session with an instructor to make sure you’re set up for success, and to finalize if there are any assignments that you won’t be implementing based on your own threat assessment and needs.
- The following 5 months will include short assignments shared every two weeks – that’s what we’ve found works best. You’ll be able to share these assignments directly with your team and track their progress completing them. And you’ll have access to a class office hour for support on each of these assignments so you’re sure you understand them in full before you share them with your team. Assignments will even include short video how-tos if we’ve found that people need them to complete the assignment.
Assignments and 13 office hours for implementation of these policies and practices:
- Two-factor authentication
- Encrypted devices
- Password manager and zero saved passwords
- VPN download and activation
- Remote wiping in case of threat
- Phishing – understanding phishing; phishing test
- Up-to-date operating system and firewall defender
- Google Drive or other shared file storage – compartmentalization system and privacy settings review
- (Optional/potential: Google Drive or other shared file storage good management practices – shared folders, folder ownership)
- Blocking 3rd party trackers, pop-ups, and data breach scanning
- WhatsApp, Telegram, and Signal security
- Malware scanning and protection
- Quiz for staff members
Joscar Amondi is SMT’s Africa Movement Support Coordinator. She is a lesbian feminist who is interested in being safe while advocating for the rights of LGBTQ persons in East Africa. She has several years’ experience training activists and organizations on digital and physical security. She also coordinates the ongoing development of SMT’s digital security protocol and its implementation across a global team of staff and contractors with varying levels of risk.
Participants can earn two certificate levels:
- Certificate in Digital Security Practices: This requires completion of all assignments and participation in the four initial sessions and at least 70% of office hours.
- Certificate in Digital Security Implementation Across a Team: In addition to what is required in the first certificate, you must provide evidence that at least 10 of the team assignments have been completed by at least 3 team members
All sessions will be held in English. Simultaneous interpretation in other languages may be available with sufficient demand per language. Contact us at [email protected].
Session times set up for global access
Sessions will be on Wednesdays on January 10, 17, 24, & 31, and every other Wednesday from February to June 2024.
Best time for Americas – See this time automatically converted for your timezone
Best time for Africa, Asia, Europe, MENA, Oceania – See this time automatically converted for your timezone
In order to support a movement organization learning space, SMT trainings are for staff of non-profits – NGOs, unions and electoral campaigns. Trainings are not for consultants or agencies. Consultants & agency staff who register will have their registrations refunded. Alternatively, on demand trainings are available to all on SMT’s course platform.
|Region||Organizational Budget (USD)||Early (ends December 1st, 2023)||Outreach Partner
Referral (ends December 1st, 2023)
North America & Western Europe
|Additional person from the same organization
(same email domain)
|Group Rate – North America & Western Europe
(up to 10 seats) – designed to help networks and funders make this program accessible to their communities.
|Group Rate – Global**
(up to 10 seats)– designed to help networks and funders make this program accessible to their communities.
Groups with subscription memberships for coaching and support get a significant discount. Contact your coach about this.
We recommend sending at least two people to this training so that your main implementation coordinator has support. To encourage this we’ve reduced the cost for the second person to the lowest rate possible.
Outreach Partner Referral Discount
Groups referred by outreach partners can get $50 to $150 off specific levels (see table above). Please name the outreach partner in your registration and forward the email you received to [email protected]. The outreach partner discount does not apply to group rates or 2nd person rates, which are already steeply discounted to represent an organization’s investment in SMT training. Outreach partners pass along opportunities for training and coaching to lists of organizing groups. This helps SMT as a non-profit reach more groups that could organize more powerfully with SMT support. Interested in being an outreach partner? Contact [email protected] and describe the size and type of groups you’d reach out to. Typically, this is a list of chapters of a network; allied organizations across a country, state, region; or some other cohort or grouping of many organizations.