Digital Campaigning Certificate Weeklong Intensive
Essential online training for every staffer, to build people power & justice in the digital age
5 full days September 12 – 16, 2022; remote
Do you want to ramp up your use of online & offline tools on ambitious campaigns given limited time and resources? Want to make sure you’re not missing out on new developments in digital tools & tactics to support your work? Looking for a community of peers working through the same challenges and opportunities? Block September 12-16, 2022 on your calendar right now for the fastest way to accelerate your campaigns.
This program is for you if:
- You are part of an issue organizing or electoral group, or a union, that is building power to win change
- You are in a communications, organizing, fundraising, or leadership role
- You want to grow your base, attract donors, run your organization more effectively, pressure targets, activate your supporters, and shape narrative
- You have an organizational commitment to set aside the full week of September 12-16 for this program
In-depth training: What we’ll cover
This program covers all of the digital campaigning essentials. It includes 18 sessions over five days September 12-16, plus additional time for office hours and assignments. Topics include:
- Organizing strategy and tactics connecting online and offline power; including direct action tactics; and building an effective activist pipeline
- Social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok; livestreaming; building online communities; and online ads
- Outreach tools including email, WhatsApp, and mobile messaging
- Making content that drives action via personal & public narrative, graphic design, and video
- Systems and infrastructure to run an effective campaign, including metrics, website, email, and CRM / member database / action tools
Participants will get individual instructor feedback on how to apply the topic to their organizing through assignment review. Instructors are deeply experienced online/offline campaigners with real-world experience applying the tools to organizing. They span a range of backgrounds and organizing experiences.
During and after this weeklong intensive, participants and their organizations will have unlimited access to SMT’s library of 70+ hours of training, which would cost over $3,000 if purchased individually. From the strong starting point the weeklong intensive provides, this will allow for interested participants and organizations to go deeper into the above topics and cover additional topics. Additional courses in the library include in-depth treatments of texting, CRM / member database tools, Twitter, online ads including Google Ad Grants, digital security, and much more.
- Certificate levels: Earn a Certificate in Digital Campaigning, Level I or Level II
- Attendance: Sessions will be recorded, but participants should plan to attend all of the sessions for a certificate at either level. For participants with special family, campaign, or other situations that arise during the week, they may make up no more than three sessions by watching the recording.
- Assignments: Complete five assignments to apply your knowledge for a level I certificate, and ten for a level II certificate. In addition to the six hours of live instruction per day, there will be 1-2 hours of office hours and time to complete assignments, during which we would anticipate participants can complete all assignments required for a level I certificate. Participants seeking to earn a level II certificate should set aside an additional 8 hours before the end of September to complete assignments.
Participation and time zones
Sessions will be Monday through Friday, with multiple 30-minute breaks
8:30am – 3:30pm Pacific Time (Los Angeles)
11:30am – 6:30pm Eastern Time (New York)
4:30pm – 11:30pm West Africa Standard Time (Lagos)
Office hours will be offered during the week outside of the core session times. Participants should block the entire week off their calendar in order to allow for enough time to apply the learning via assignments.
Organizing strategy and tactics
- Digital Organizing Overview – get grounded in how online and offline tools can connect to build power. Reflect on your organizing and chart a path through the week.
- Organizing Strategy & Digital Planning – Guidance for building a simple or complex digital campaigning plan for your organizing group or union that connects to winning campaigns
- Creating an Effective Activist Pipeline – How to absorb new members and bring them into your organizing, including the online organizing
- Choosing the right Direct Action tactic – Select and build out a range of direct action tactics and escalations spanning the online and offline worlds to pressure targets.
Content that drives action
- Public narrative overview – crafting an effective frame and narrative for both our immediate campaigns and longer-term organizing to activate people, build broader support and win.
- Personal narrative overview – Build out a skill of sharing one’s own personal story, as well as engaging with members and leaders to share theirs.
- Graphic design – Tools and design principles to create beautiful inspiring images that will drive action
- Video – Producing and using video powerfully on a shoestring budget
- Mobile messaging overview – tool demos, use cases, and campaign examples for using peer-to-peer, broadcast, and relational texting tools.
- Email – writing, segmenting, and sending campaign tips and tricks to help make this a powerful tool in your organizing
- Online ads – Facebook, Instagram, and other ads for finding organizing leads and persuading around issues and campaigns
- Twitter – Ramp up your Twitter power in campaigns to boost pressure on targets, broaden and engage your base and get media coverage.
- Instagram & TikTok – how online organizers are using Instagram & TikTok to build power online and see results offline
- Livestreaming and other online meetings – how to expand engagement and your audience during livestreams and meetings, and get people activated for next steps
- Building online communities – use existing communities and build new ones to find new organizing leads and to engage and build leadership among your members and leaders across WhatsApp Groups, Facebook Groups, Discord, etc.
Systems & infrastructure
- Metrics – focus your limited time and resources where they can get the biggest bang
- Website – design and campaign tricks, tips, tools and best practices to get to a website that serves your organizing by capturing organizing leads.
- CRM / member database / action tools – approaches to get the most of your CRM for building new members/supporters and activating current ones, regardless of the tool.
Language and Hearing Accessibility
Instruction will be in English. Please contact us if you are part of a group looking for live instruction in another language.
All live sessions will be live captioned and all recordings will be captioned in English. Recordings in the SMT library are captioned in English and Spanish.
Note: during and after this weeklong intensive, participants and their organizations will have unlimited access to the recordings of the week’s sessions as well as SMT’s library of 70+ hours of training, which would cost over $3,000 if purchased individually.
North America or Western Europe-based organizations and activists:
- $1,400 Early Bird Pricing per registrant from groups with budgets above $1M USD, payment received by July 1, 2022, when the price goes up to $1,600
- $1,000 Early bird pricing for registrants from groups with budgets of less than $1M/year USD, payment received by July 1, 2022, when the price goes up to $1,200
- $7,500 Group Rate (up to 10 seats) – designed to help networks and funders make this program accessible to their communities.
- $750 Second person from the same organization
If based outside of North America or Western Europe:
- $700 Early Bird Pricing Outside of North America and Western Europe, per registrant from groups with budgets of less than $1M/year USD, received by July 1, 2022
- $850 After July 1, 2022
Note: Organizations paying for a mix of staff based in North America/Europe and other regions can pay based on where each staffer is based.
Payment is by credit card at the below form, which includes a 4% fee. Please reach out to [email protected] if you’d like an invoice for payment by ACH bank transfer (no fee) or wire ($20 bank fee).