The NewsGuild-CWA seeks a highly experienced and motivated director to shape and carry out an inspired and exciting communications program for this national union of news workers. The Director will be responsible for developing a multi-faceted and aggressive communications program to advance the interests of news workers across the country and will have full access to elected officers to determine the best ways to communicate the goals and values of the organization. The director will oversee the writing, development, and promotion of communications between the national union, its members, and the public.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to union values, experience with traditional media outreach and with using multiple channels to build pressure on targets in new organizing and contract negotiations, and a proven track record of using social media and technology to tell stories, communicate complex ideas, and inspire people to take action.
This position is based at the union’s national office in Washington, DC. This person will join a progressive and dedicated team of elected leaders and senior staff who enjoy working together!
ABOUT THE NEWSGUILD-CWA
With over 30,000 members, The NewsGuild-CWA is the recognized voice for news workers across the country. Elected leadership seeks to step up activism in the union and build a rigorous social media presence that both engages members and builds power at the negotiating table. This position offers the right person an outstanding opportunity to build a highly visible multi-faceted communications program integral to the union’s success.
This is a particularly exciting and important time for the union. The NewsGuild-CWA is spearheading successful new organizing of digital media workers across the country including the South. It won a precedent-setting contract last year in negotiations with the country’s second largest news company. It recently launched an innovative pension plan solution for media workers and has been a leading force in successfully litigating to ensure that workers have the right to use email and social media to organize and agitate for change.
- With input from leadership, shape an aggressive communications program
- Build the union’s visibility in traditional media (write press releases, develop and maintain media relationships)
- Build the union’s visibility on social media (grow and manage the union’s social media accounts)
- Publish quarterly newsletters by generating original content and curating outside content for print and the website
- Work with journalists and NewsGuild locals across the country to develop content.
- Develop educational and promotional materials that carry The NewsGuild’s messaging.
- Provide multi-channel communications support for contract and new organizing campaigns
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent writing and editing skills and attention to detail
- Abie to research and report stories for web site, newsletter and other platforms
- Experience running successful social media campaigns and other online advocacy, including excellent email writing skills
- Fast learner, ability to adapt quickly to new technology and seek out innovative ways to spread the union’s reach
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google docs, basic graphic design, social media channels
- Proficiency with WordPress editing to manage website
- Working knowledge of databases or mass email software, especially ActionNetwork
- Willingness to work hours as needed to complete projects and support organizing campaigns.
- Highly organized, able to multitask and work and meet deadlines in a campaign environment
- Able to work as a team, able to delegate and train/coach team members who need it
- Passionate about fighting for equality and justice
Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. This position is under a collective bargaining agreement with the Federation of Guild Representatives that covers pay and benefits. Salary will be consistent with our internal pay levels based on experience. Excellent benefit package: medical, dental and vision insurance for employee and family with minimal premium sharing, a pension plan and 401(k), up to 5 weeks of vacation (based on length of service), paid sick leave and holidays. The contract provides annual wage increases through 2020.
Please send to Kristina Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Indicate your required salary, or an acceptable range.
- Use the subject line: Communications Director application
Applications will be reviewed March 15, 2017 and interviews will be scheduled shortly thereafter. Late applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The NewsGuild-CWA is an equal opportunity employer.