Priority consideration to applications from persons of color as SMT seeks a balanced team consistent with the demographics of movement organizing.
SMT is looking to expand its Staff Partner team with people who have one or more of the following types of expertise:
- Digital organizer w/union experience – must be highly experienced developing content and implementing multi-channel campaigns for contract, new member and internal organizing campaigns
- Same as above, but with advocacy experience, not necessarily union experience
- Someone with deep experience with Snapchat and/or Instagram – growing organizational accounts and using them to organize
- Someone with lots of experience using SMS and peer-to-peer texting in organizing
- Someone with lots of experience using Conference Maestro
- Web developer w/deep WordPress expertise who is especially interested in coding full sites, is reliable and available during the day
SMT does much of its work with a team of “Staff Partners” – long-term contractors who can work as little as a few hours a month to as many as 40 hours/month on a very flexible basis, though some availability during the workday is a must. Staff Partners are highly experienced online/offline organizers. As a Staff Partner you work from wherever you are and each work assignment is up to you to accept or not. Some of SMT’s Staff Partners have full-time jobs. In this case they have worked out an agreement with their employer to enable them to do a few hours of work on the side. Some are self-employed and may do other freelance work. Staff Partners are members of the Freelance Division of the Pacific Media Workers Guild – CWA. SMT has a highly experience team with complementary skill sets. We seek to build on that.
Pay rate: Hourly pay rate varies based on role on any particular job and experience. SMT has internal guidelines which we seek to apply fairly based on skill set, experience level and type of work being done.
About Social Movement Technologies
SMT is a non-profit organization founded in 2014 to help progressive organizing groups ramp up with online strategy, tools and tactics to build power and win campaigns. It has trained staff from over 1,000 organizations across the US, Canada and abroad in its first four years through highly attended webinars, as well as in coaching sessions. It has created a team of experienced online/offline organizers who work with groups, seeking to bring a strategic organizing approach to all its work.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter: (1) Tell us how you heard of this job posting. (2) Explain your interest and experience.
- Provide an example of your best online campaign work, including links to content/posts, petitions, emails etc. that you created (or else make clear your role). What did you do? What was your role? What are your greatest strengths in online organizing? No more than one page please. We will not consider applications missing this. If you have not managed online campaigns to amplify offline organizing, and if you have no offline organizing experience, you are not right for Staff Partner position.
- Attach a resume.
- Please indicate the minimum hourly rate you need. Although your hourly rate if hired will be consistent with our internal pay levels based on experience, we ask for this to avoid wasting time in case your minimum required pay is out of SMT’s range.
- Use the subject line: “Staff Partner position”