Full list of all upcoming SMT trainings here.
Join SMT’s Asia team
Feb 15: For Asian Campaigners & Activists: Top Tools & Tactics to Build People Power in the Digital Age
This online training session is for Asia-based activists and campaigners. It includes Asian examples and considerations and is led by a member of SMT’s Asia team, with support from colleagues from other regions.
Join this session to learn the latest ways you can deploy online tools & tactics in combination with offline organizing to engage supporters, broaden your base, raise money, pressure targets, and win campaigns. Whether you’re a complete digital novice, or advanced, make sure you aren’t missing out on key digital tools and tactics, learn what other organizers are doing to win and how to do it with limited time and money.
This will be a fast-paced overview with lots of sharing of additional resources should you want to go deeper on specific topics.
- Components of a strong online/offline campaign strategy, including strategy and plan templates
- An introduction to the implications of movement ecology and phases, power mapping, and escalation for building people power
- The roles of storytelling and public narrative, and resources to support your development of strong campaign narratives
- Being ready for trigger events, including workflows and online tool combinations that groups are finding useful to activate large numbers of people quickly, including in distributed action
- Examples of the role of humor and joy in online and offline tactics, and especially examples of creating dilemma situations for targets, where you win no matter how they respond
- Special attention to organizing under authoritarian regimes
- How to measure online and offline power, going beyond vanity metrics, and how to implement this across your organization so it works
AVOIDING COMMON MISTAKES
- Got a list of supporters that aren’t really active? We’ll talk about building a vibrant activist pipeline and integrating mobile messaging.
- Spending time posting but not seeing much result? The 3 mistakes that many groups make with their posting approach on social media, and what we recommend instead. What social media channel to use for who and what (including Twitter alternatives) and using hashtag hijacking on any channel
- The mistakes many groups are making with Facebook ads, and what we recommend instead
- Video still an expensive small part of your content? Recommendations for how to turn that around
- What to do if your emails are sucking up time and not producing results, including the key pointers for the list curation everyone should do once a year
- Managing your work on email or spreadsheets? It’s time for a campaign management tool.
- Struggling with fundraising? Overly reliant on foundation money? How to make sure you’re set up for effective fundraising from your base: tools, online ad recommendations, workflow and templates
- Know you should be doing more for digital security? Most groups make a few easily avoidable mistakes on implementation. Digital security recommendations with a special focus on the top 5 things to do and how to ease implementation across your team or activist network
TECH STACK RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ZERO-BUDGET AND LARGER GROUPS
- Recommended tech stacks (tool combinations) for all-volunteer groups or movements with no budget, to larger staffed organizations with more resources. We’ll also mention some commonly used tools that should be avoided and suggest solid alternatives.
February 15, 90-minutes. Instruction in English, with interpretation to Bahasa Indonesia and based on demand. Find your timezone.